Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mind, Body & Soul Sessions (#37)

Boost Your Mood.

Are you unhappy, depressed, down or just in a bad mood? Don’t worry this too will pass, it’s not like you are doomed to feel this way the rest of your life. Believe it or not, but the way you perceive things is a learned skill. Everyone can learn how to look at the world through more optimistic eyes. Over the next few weeks I will give you some tips which will hopefully improve your mood and make you feel more optimistic and upbeat.

Tip two: Detox.

As most of you probably know, a lot of people detox their bodies. But did you know you can detox your mind too? Believe it or not, you can get rid of toxics that like to live in your mind. When you want to get rid of bad, negative and interfering thoughts, in other words toxics, you have to remember this golden rule: You can only keep one thought in your mind at a time and it’s you who decides what type of thought you focus on. You have two choices.

Option one: You can focus on the unhappy/pessimistic thoughts
or
you can go with option two: focus on happy/optimistic thoughts.

See, you do have options and the choice is completely yours!
Happy and optimistic people focus on solutions and always expect the best. Unhappy and pessimistic people focus on complaining and worst-case scenarios. So, when disaster strikes, problems or setbacks pop-up, it’s up to you to put a stop to every negative thought that pops in your mind. Don’t waste time by complaining or working on doom scenarios, it will only get you down. Instead, stay calm, don’t panic and focus on finding a solution because there is a solution for almost everything.

Cleanse your mind, steer your thoughts in the right direction and boost your mood!

Next week in MBSS: Tip three.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dakota,
Much like our friend KJM, you have posted something I need to see at the time I need to see it. I am going to try hard to follow the example in your post. Whether I succeed or not, I thank you for a great message!

Phil said...

It's becoming proper little series this! I reckon you could sell this idea to a cable TV show for a 15 minute afternoon slot :]

I really, really, really need to start thinking more optimisticcally - I'm doing rubbish at the moment and finding it inredibily hard to fight these thoughts. I'm not sure I have the strength to do it anymore GRRR :[

Phil said...

Good advice Dakota, easier said than done (but there is my bad attitude taking over).
There is this popular book called The Secret that has been out for a while. I'm not ga-ga over it because it seems to focus on being thin and wealthy as the important things in life, but it does talk about positive thinking and the like and I find that part of it good.

Lord Hutton said...

My counsellor advised me to store a happy thought, to think of when everything was shit. It doesnt make things go away, but it helps.
Thanks for the tip: it reminded me to cheer up;-)

b o o said...

i want to detox negative people out of my body & mind. how?

Phil said...

Thanks Dakota!
I have lots of people to talk to, but I thnk the GP may be in order for some possible chemical assistance. :[]
I've really lost all confidence in myself and have zero interest in just about anything. I'm finding it really hard to want to do anything at all - including a blog entry.
I don't think I'm that bad to be honest, I'm just very fed up with getting bad nerves and that triggers a bad stomach etc and spoils my time and then when I do feel OK, I just get regret from something I said or did, so I can't win. Grrr

Dakota said...

Thank you for your tip, Lord Hutton! I think your counsellor gave you some great advice. I always carry a good thought or a happy memory around in my head. In addition I always carry a fun picture in my purse, a toy that makes me smile and I have a special section on my iPod with music that makes me feel better.

Hmmz…. let me think about that one, Boo. Maybe next Sunday’s MBSS will be about getting rid of negative people :)

Dakota said...

Glad to know you can talk to people, DoGGa. A lot of people I know, do have a lot of people but they just won’t talk. So please, use the people around you and talk to them. I am also glad you are thinking about going to your GP. I personally don’t like chemical assistance but sometimes you just need all the help you can get. So, go ahead and get if you feel you need it, it might give you just the little breather you need right now.

Hmmz…. what more can I say? When I read your comments, I get a sense you are living in an endless circle of frustration. You get fed up with one thing and when you get really sick and tired of it all you get frustrated. That triggers another frustration, namely you are starting to feel frustrated because you are frustrated about the first thing. Then things aren’t going the way you want, so another frustration is added which in its turn triggers yet another frustration. And it goes on and on and on. In the end you need to break the cycle or else you will end up depressed. But hey, I might be making a real fool of myself here…. I am just a Dutch girl who has read too much.

Anyway, if you feel like reading something? I found this site, it has some great advice and free ebooks.
When it’s frustration you are dealing with, this one might interest you.

One final tip: Don’t overthink and question everything that happens to you. Take a break for a while and take life as it comes. Like everyone else, you are allowed to make mistakes, that’s how you learn and grow.

Take care {{DoGGa}}

"Discouragement is a negative emotion with more than one trick up its dark sleeve. It tricks you into mentally or emotional dwelling in the very place you want to leave. Drop all sorrow permanently by trying to see through this deception of the unconscious mind. You have a destination far beyond where you find yourself standing today – Guy Finley"

Phil said...

Thanka {{Dakota}}... Wise words (and links) as usual! :]
I do get VERY frustrated and feel so trapped in my own personality - Having the enthusiasm to get better is what I lack, becuase I ALWAYS end up back here, although I guess it's like a lot of things... You feel better, stop maintaining and slip backwards.

Maybe because I don't have many life plans or goals, I get too wrapped up in the 'dark side' and concentrate on that too much, not letting it wash over me - I try to fight things and wrong doings etc and I should learn to be more blasé?

Dakota said...

I think you got a point there, DoGGa, I'll send you an e-mail later with some more advice. Nah, just one more little tip :)