Friday, August 18, 2006

Off with their heads ;)

A couple of weeks ago, during the heat wave, I had a lot of trouble sleeping. On one of those nights I decided to get out of bed to watch some TV. Bad idea, nighttime television is quite similar to daytime television…. a lot of rubbish. I ended up watching one of the Dr.Phil episodes about cheating/infidelity. Big mistake! During the show I got more and more annoyed by the guests (mostly women) and their definition of cheating. Their definition differed completely from my views, it was actually a bit scary, and after watching for a while I wasn’t even sure what cheating meant anymore. So I looked it up.

According to the dictionary:
1. cheating - not faithful to a spouse or lover;
2. unfaithful - having sexual relations with someone other than your husband or wife, or your boyfriend or girlfriend;
3. infidelity
a. Unfaithfulness to a sexual partner, especially a spouse.
b. An act of sexual unfaithfulness.

According to Wikipedia:
Adultery is generally defined as consensual sexual intercourse by a married person with someone other than his or her lawful spouse. In many jurisdictions, an unmarried person who is sexually involved with a married person is also considered an adulterer. The common synonym for adultery is infidelity as well as unfaithfulness or in colloquial speech, cheating. It was also known in earlier times by the legalistic term "alienation of affection".

After reading this I felt quite relieved. Cheating was still cheating *sigh of relieve* IMHO cheating occurs when bodily fluids are exchanged. Quite simple, and easy to remember :) The women on the show however had the most amazing list of things they considered to be cheating. I don’t want to bore you to death, so here is the shortlist:
  • - looking at a female,
  • - talking with a woman,
  • - flirting with another woman,
  • - having a female friend,
  • - having coffee/lunch with a female,
  • - touching/stroking/petting/hugging a different female,
  • - kissing another woman on the cheek,
  • - calling a woman on the phone,
  • - sending emails to another woman,
  • - talking about personal stuff with a woman.
Really, if all of this is considered to be cheating I can honestly say, in hindsight, that all my b-friends cheated on me in one way or another. What’s wrong with having a female friends or talking with other women? In my opinion every man needs at least one female friend and every woman needs one or more male friends. We can learn so much from each other. Who knows, we might even understand each other one day ;)

Of course this whole thing made me curious, so here is a little question for you *. Where do you draw the line? What’s your interpretation of the word cheating?

* [answer if you want too, skip it when you don’t feel comfortable]

6 comments:

kat said...

I think Stu hit the nail on the head there. If anything is done in secret it may well be cheating. It is possible though that one partner is too possessive and the other therefore feels that they have to hide things in order to lead a normal life. Having friends of the opposite sex is an entitlement as far as I am concerned.

Max said...

Have femail friends can't be cheating

zoom said...

I agree completely with Stu. It's not so much the actions, but the context and intent that define cheating for me.

Dakota said...

Thanks for your input Stu :) Interesting, as always! I believe you’ve set the tone here in the comment section. Everybody seems to agree with you :) I also agree with you… well partly to be honest. Deceit surely causes problems. I’m not sure if I would consider 1) to be cheating though. Okay, it’s sneaky, but if it was just a harmless friendly chat I think I would be okay with that. If it was cybersex, it would be a whole different story I guess. Example 2 would technically be adultery, but I think when both partners give their consent it would be their own business.

Kat, that’s another interesting point. What if one of the partners is too possessive? The other person could keep certain things to her/himself for the sake of peace! Ignorance can (sometimes) be bliss. But would that really be cheating? Even if the secrets would be just harmless things? I feel a new post coming up ;) No, not really just another thing to think about :)

Huh, Max?

Thanks for your comment on this, Zoom! I think we all can agree that cheating has a lot to do with context and the intent. Where we draw the line is probably influenced by our own backgrounds, religious believes, upbringing, personal history/experience and so forth and that’s great. I think that’s why life’s so interesting.

Rayya Ghul said...

My ex had a lot of female friends and I didn't have a problem. But then he started popping round to see his female boss (a 'new' friend) on a regular basis on the way home from dropping off his kids to his ex-wife. At first he spent between 5-7pm, but then it gradually got longer and longer till he wasn't coming home till 10 or later. when I wondered aloud why he was doing this, he became very defensive saying he found her really good to talk to. I suggested he invite her round so I could get to know her but he didn't want to do this and gave some spurious reasons. I didn't press the matter, but all my female friends without exception said they would not tolerate that from their husbands.

To cut a long story short, a couple of years later he left and I found out he'd been lying and had been on holiday with her and he's now living with her.

I learnt a big lesson which was to trust my intuition - so I think maybe the women on Dr. Phil might not be so paranoid after all. I also read a book about infidelity and jealousy after all this happened to me and found out that something like 90% of women who suspect their parther is cheating turn out to be right.

Dakota said...

Thanks for telling your story, Snowqueen. There’s nothing wrong with trusting your intuition. When your intuition is telling you there is something wrong, there usually is. I do, however, think that some of these women overreacted. A lot of the things on the shortlist, where suggested by the audience members and not by the women with the cheating husbands. I do not want, I simply refuse, to believe that every interaction between men and women has a sexual undercurrent. I still think that men and women can be friends, even best friends, without ever cheating on their partners. According to the audience however, men should kick their women friends to the curb the moment they enter into a relationship. I think that’s wrong!