Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How a village idiot had a blast and burned roughly 800 calories.

Well I went to the other two festival nights and I hate to say it, but there isn’t all that much to tell about Saturday. The revue sucked, or at least I believe it sucked! Couldn’t see or hear a thing, so who knows, it might have been great…. I don’t know!

Then there was a big band playing, but I found out that it wasn’t really my thing. Still I decided to stick around a little bit longer because I didn’t want to miss the DJ set. I wish I missed it now though. All the other acts had begun later than scheduled so they pulled the plug (literally) while the DJ’s were just getting started. No juice, no music, no party! Bummer!! But still the night wasn’t a total waste…..there was a beautiful sky to watch and I wouldn’t have spotted that if I had opted to stay at home.

Sunday was sooooo much better. I stayed home in the afternoon because then they had street entertainers, jugglers and kid stuff, which I had seen last year. Nice to watch, but not every year! The night however was superb. Slagerij van Kampen played and this is probably the most original band of Holland. You never before heard or seen drums like these. Self-willed and swinging, overwhelming and spectacular. Not everyone’s piece of cake, but I love them and I’ve seen play before in theatres. Nothing beats a drumbeat, but hey, that’s just my opinion :). They played for about 90 minutes, so most of the evening was gone after they had finished. But the night was still young and I still had a lot of energy to get rid off, so again I stayed on for another DJ set, 90’s now (all 90’s music, so wrong but at the same time sooooo familiar). I couldn’t help myself as soon as the opening beats of “Everybody Dance Now!” filled the tent I started to dance and didn’t stop for two hours. Man, I LOVE to dance, even if it is on my own. Sure people look at you (but who cares), like you crazy or something (after all, you are doing something that people just wouldn’t do), but they soon got used to the idea. I even convinced some other solo goers to dance too…..pff, at some stage we even formed a group of our own. Amazing fact of life, a lot of people feel better in a group :)

Another amazing fact of the evening, everybody can dance to 90’s music. There were elderly people doing some ballroom steps to Vanilla Ice (?! I don't know how, but they did :)), my peers were dancing in sets of two like we used to do way back when, younger people danced in groups with their purses and coats in the middle, teenagers doing their thing all separately and all over the place and of course there were kids running around with a big smile on their face. Oh and let’s not forget there were onlookers too, you recognize them when you see them. Those people (mostly guys) checking out the dancers, beer in hand and an accessional head nod from time to time! :)

I had a grand night out! And I might be known as the village idiot for the next couple of days/weeks, people sure looked and smiled at me kind of funny today, but hey, I had an amazing night and who cares what they think! Who knows, they might even be a little bit jealous ;)

Announcement: Tomorrow, I am going to mess around with my template, I want to use the new Blogger Beta stuff so..... who knows what might happen. Maybe I’ll be back later in the day or maybe, just maybe.... my blog will be lost for ever ;)

6 comments:

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Glad you had such a good time Dakota!

I haven't been brave enough to attempt the template change yet....I might just wait and see how yours goes!!

Dakota said...

Oh, I am just going to give it a try, Aoj. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that :). And there will always be a back-up made by blogger and a back up on my PC so I can always go back when it all goes horribly wrong. Fingers crossed ;)

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Dakota, I changed my mind and went for it but I recommend you copy your template into Word before you start!!

Dakota said...

Thanks, Aoj. I already did that :)

Phil said...

Sounds great.
I love drumming and want to get an electronic kit myself.
I'm gonna send you mail with a link you might like Dakota.
Well done for not caring about other peoples views of you too. :]

Dakota said...

So where is the email then, DoGGa. I’ve been waiting and waiting and………waiting *sigh* ;)

Drum and bass, that’s my thing, I’m talking about instruments here, not the music style….although, come to think of it, I like that too :)

Here is link to another drum sensation, I like :)