Friday, May 25, 2007

Suggestions anyone?!?!

My Mum is celebrating her 75th birthday next month.....hurrah! She is at that age where finding a special birthday gift is quite difficult because she has everything she needs or wants. I asked if she had any wishes but she could only come up with this: A washing machine! Not my idea of the perfect gift because a) she can easily afford to buy one herself and b) I don’t like to give household appliances as a birthday gift.

So at first I thought about throwing her a surprise party, but she isn’t in a party mood right now. She lost two of her closest friends over the last few months and I know she would miss them too much.

Next I thought about a moonlight diner cruise because she had been talking about those for months now. Earlier this week I even checked the dates and rates only to discover today that my Mum had already booked one of the moonlight cruises because she wants to celebrate her birthday there :( Well, that isn’t helping.

She doesn’t need or wants any perfume or beauty products because she can actually drown someone in all the stuff she has. She doesn’t want any jewellery because she can fill a cave like the one in “Pirates of the Caribbean 1” with the all bling-bling she has. She doesn’t want books, CD’s or hobby materials. So what’s left?

Suggestions anyone?!?!

10 comments:

b o o said...

that last item is really suitable for your mom and her bling:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269490,00.html

me? i give to my mommy's favorite charity "children's cancer society"

(un)random act of kindness + paying it forward & it's $200 well spent :)

Phil said...

Wow, I know what you mean about finding gifts for Mom's and Aunts. My Aunt just turned 90. I got her a nice scarf. My Mom has threatened me already about buying her knick-knacks. Boo has a wonderful idea. Maybe plant a favorite tree of hers somewhere?

Lord Hutton said...

A Strippergram?
A huge bouquet?
The tree idea is a good one.
How about a line of vines in a vineyard?

Dakota said...

Wow, I really like all your ideas guys!

Believe it or not, Boo but my Mom has a bling cleaning device :)

I like your donation idea!

I know what you mean, Phil, my Mom has threatened me too :)
The tree planting idea is brilliant

Lol….. a strippergram, Lord Hutton :) I like the idea, but I don’t know if it would be the best gift….it would probably kill her.
Where could I buy a line of vines in a vineyard?

Lord Hutton said...

You could try http://www.daystoamaze.co.uk/pages/product383.tpl

Dakota said...

Thanks for the link, Lord Hutton. I’ll look into that :)

KJ's muse said...

Good question. My mom's turning 80 in the fall, and I have no idea either. Yes, a donation to your mom's favourite charity is always good. Or just taking her to her favourite restaurant for dinner? A portrait of your family (don't know how large it is) taken by a professional photographer? A day trip somewhere? Any courses she would like to take? Arrange a reunion with someone she hasn't seen in a long time?

It'll be interesting to see what you finally end up doing!

Dakota said...

Another bunch of great ideas. Thanks, KJ’s Muse :)

I haven’t made up my mind yet (I still have another two weeks or so to decide), but I’ll let you know when the time comes.

Phil said...

An early "Happy Hoofday Dakota Creator!"
Erm, I hate having to find presents - I much prefer it when when they clue me in or relaly want a specific thing :]

How about sponsering a dog for her and they would send out the certificates to her etc or maybe a donkey or whatever she likes?

Parachute jump perhaps maaam? :]

Dakota said...

LOL! Thank you DoGGa I’ll pass your wishing on to the creator :)

I don’t think she would like a parachute jump, she doesn’t like heights, but this suggestion reminded me of something she once said. Maybe I could charter a small plane and take her up for an aerial tour or something. I have to check that later.

The dog idea I like a lot too. Coincidentally, I just read an ad yesterday about sponsoring guide dogs. Another thing to check.