Friday, June 22, 2007

Komt een vrouw bij de dokter, or…….

translated in English: A woman goes to the doctor, sounds like the beginning of a joke, but it’s not. It actually is the title of a book I just finished reading. In my opinion the best book I’ve read this year. A book that has been on my to- read- list ever since it was first published, but also a book you need to be in the mood for. That sounds a bit strange but for certain books you need to be in a certain mood. When I am down and depressed, I like to read funny, romantic or inspiring books. When I am sad, but not able to let the emotions out, I like to read moving books. On all other days I like to read just about anything. SF, fantasy, thrillers, horror, literature, history….you name it and there is always a day for a certain type of book.

Like I said, I just finished it and I wasn’t going to blog about it because, hey, it’s a Dutch book and not a lot of Dutch books are translated in other languages, but this one has and it’s available on Amazon. They have changed the title to Love life, which is a shame really, but still a very suitable title.

What more can I say about the book? I could tell you the whole story, but I don’t want to spoil everything, so just go here and read more about the book itself.
As you can see, this isn't a fluffy love story, it’s more like getting on an emotional rollercoaster. It’s real, honest, raw, open, sincere, fast, confronting, about ethics and morals, life, cancer, death, planning, relationships, family and it’s sad and very moving. You can burst into tears one moment and laugh out loud the next. But it’s also about courage, love and the amazing power people have.

Read it if you want (with a box of tissues at hand), skip it if you don’t, but at least keep the most important message (IMO) of the book in mind Live every day like it is your last so you won’t have to look back in anger or with regrets.

12 comments:

Andre Veloux said...

I thought that would be a good choice for the Muse as its her birthday next week. But its not on Amazon.co.uk, and his other book Love Life, well I'm not sure you wants to be reminded about cancer and hospitals (nor do I).

Dakota said...

It's on Amazon, Andre. They renamed it into Love Life. Sorry for the confusion!

Maybe The time traveler's wife will make a nice gift?

b o o said...

seize it baby :) HUGS

KJ's muse said...

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Wonder if I would enjoy it better in English or Dutch....

Dakota said...

Let’s all seize it, Boo

I prefer to read books in their original language, KJ’s Muse, but that gets a bit difficult when it was originally published in Japanese or something ;)

Anyway, when you decide to go for the Dutch version you can download it too. Just go here (go to het boek and then hit the gratis button) and donate some money to KWF or a cancer charity of your choice. If you don’t like to download it, you can still read the whole book online or just try a few chapters and see if you like it or not

Phil said...

I wish I could read more, I just find it very hard to get into it and my mind wanders all the time and I have to keep reading the page over and over, grrrr :[]
It's good you've found an escape, if only temporary, from bad feelings - I used to use computer games, but I'm very bored of those now and I'm stuck now as I don't have an escape anymore :`(

Dakota said...

Ever tried audio books, DoGGa? When I can’t read because of the wandering-mind-thingy, audio books help me a lot and are a great escape. Just lie down, close your eyes (not the best choice because, to be honest, they sent me to sleep a lot too) and listen to the story.

I hope you’ll find a new escape pretty soon because, let’s face it {{DoGGa}}, everybody needs to escape for time to time :) Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Do you think you will read "The Widower"?

Dakota said...

Yeah, I think I will read that one too, Krissa. I’d like to know how the rest of the story goes – what life is like without Carmen.

KJ's muse said...

Thanks Dakota, I've got the site bookmarked for later. :)

Anonymous said...

This might be a juvenile way to see it, but I think the fact that you want to read the sequel is one of the best advertisements for the original. .. The descriptions already make me interested, though. I just might have to read them...(even though I am a little afraid of the emotional impact)!

Dakota said...

I hope you are going to enjoy it one day, KJ’s Muse :)

Well, to be honest, Krissa the book had quite an impact on me. Just wait for the right time and then when you think you can handle it, read it.