Monday, April 16, 2007

Perishable.

A few months ago I wrote something about the new Dove campaign for real beauty because I think it’s really disturbing that the media is presenting us with images of female beauty that are unattainable. We are bombarded with messages about thinness, anti-wrinkle creams, youth, dieting and beauty on a daily basis and all these messages are telling us that “ordinary” women are always in need of some sort of adjustment, in short, the female body is an object that needs to be perfected. Why? Well, the answer is simple: big $$$. By presenting a model that isn’t realistic, difficult to achieve and let alone maintain, the diet and cosmetic industries are assured of growth and, not to mention, a lot of profits.

Just a few weeks ago I watched a real interesting documentary called Beperkt Houdbaar (in English: Perishable). In this documentary the 34 year old documentary maker, Sunny Bergman, goes on a quest to find out just how perishable she is/or has become. She shows us what the beauty industry is doing to women and their self-esteem and how women learn to compare themselves to other women, or in other words, compare and judge themselves by the beauty industry’s standards. A very insightful and interesting documentary, such a shame only a few of you can understand Dutch ;)

Anyway, just when I thought I had heard and seen it all, I was presented with something new, and apparently the next thing every woman has to get done, the next thing to add to the roster: the vaginal reconstruction, or vaginal rejuvenation or the designer vagina. I know some people really need this surgery because they had cancer but I am not talking about them here. Right now I am talking about women who need to look and feel younger. Women who have bought the new boobs, the bum-implants, a new wrinkle-less face, did the tummy tuck, the liposuction, etc etc. This is just one more procedure added to the list of ridiculous surgeries that is hurting the self esteem of women across the globe. Are women now supposed to be self conscious about their vagina? This one really made my jaw drop. Isn’t this almost the same as female genital mutilation? How on earth can it be trendy? This is horrific!

If you want, and can stomach it, you can watch this part of the documentary because it’s in English. Just go here, let the video load and then skip to 39:10 (warning: it’s graphic). Watch it if you want, don’t if you…..well, don’t want too.

In the end I don’t know what shocked me most, the fact that women are doing this to themselves or that there are moms out there who tell their normal daughters they have a medical condition? *speechless*

This has been on my mind for quite some time now and I am really flabbergasted by the fact that woman can be influenced that easily. Why do men seem to be immune for this type of media pressure because honestly, I’ve never heard men talk about a penile lift, a penis enhancement or a reverse circumcision, have you?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pressure for (non-reverse) circumcision is there. I have no idea why. There aren't really many other pressures put on men about their physical appearance... maybe nose hair, grey hair. That's about it.

I agree... women really do have it far worse in regard to self-esteem and body image issues.

Lord Hutton said...

Some people have too much money, too much time on their hands, and too little self esteem. I hate the whole thing.

b o o said...

i watched the whole thing. its so disturbing *frowns*

SAD

b o o said...

i can understand people who had reconstructive surgery due to multiple births/post-natal reasons and/or cancer. but this, this....

qaminante said...

There must be a market for penile enhancement, otherwise why do I get all those ads for it? But women are their own worst enemies, have you ever listened to Joan Rivers? Most of her jokes carry the message "women must be beautiful because if they aren't, men won't want them". Fashion companies claim that women won't buy their clothes when they put them on normal-size models. And I really, really resent the anti-ageing claims made by the manufacturers of beauty products - all the more so because I so much want to believe them!

Anonymous said...

I do find as I get older that I'm starting to look less like myself and more like my mother, and I find that deeply disturbing. So I'm tempted to buy some anti-wrinkle cream, because like qaminante, I want to believe the misleading ads. But I'm resisting!

I don't think I'm in any danger of wanting a younger looking vagina. Mine still looks just fine to me. I hope most women have better things to want than vaginal surgery, because that's just sad.

Dakota said...

Well, I have noticed that the cosmetics industry is starting to work on men too, Stu. They have been introducing special facial creams for men recently so I guess men are their next target market ;)

Hear, hear, Lord Hutton

I guess you are speechless too, Boo :)
You are a brave woman, I can’t believe you actually watched the whole thing.

If there is a market for it, they are not going to find it by sending those emails to millions and millions of women, Qaminante :) I have listened to and watch some of Joan Rivers work (isn’t she one of the “plastic people”? She looks younger now then 20 years ago) and I like her sense of humour a lot and maybe she got a point there. But if that were true, lesbians wouldn’t be worried about their appearance and I know a couple who are more obsessed with their looks then some of the straight women I know.

I guess everyone who buys those creams are hoping for the same things, Zoom!. They hope it’s a miracle in a jar. Honestly, I used to believe all those ads until on day I had a very interesting talk with a dermatologist. There’s only one ingredient that seems to really work and that’s a high dose of Vitamin A (and you have to visit a dermatologist or a beautician for that). This dosage isn’t allowed in consumer cosmetics so all you can buy in the stores is cream with retinol which is a form of vitamin A and isn’t that effective at all. Further more the dermatologist suggested a healthy diet, plenty of water, fresh air, no sunshine during the hottest hours of the day, always wear sunscreen, and no smoking :)

I think that every woman should be a proud owner of a vagina. Why worry when it doesn’t look like the photoshopped ones in the magazines, are penises all the same? Are all people exactly the same? I don’t think so! So ladies, if you got here by accident (Google or whatever) please reconsider, be and stay unique!

Anonymous said...

This is a good site to go to if you want a different perspective:
www.any-body.org.uk

Dakota said...

That certainly is a different perspective Snowqueen. When I copied the link I ended up at an web hosting and domain registration site :)

KJ's muse said...

Unreal. Scary too. And that doctor was making $350,000 a month? No wonder he and others like him are telling women that they are not acceptable as they are! But I do think it's up to us collectively as women to stop this ridiculous assault—which really, is what it is. We need to band together and celebrate what is real. At least the Dove campaign seems to be a tiny step in the right direction. Well, I for one pledge to not ever give a crap about my wrinkles, furrowed brow, or messy vagina! :)

Thanks for posting it Dakota. Ik kon het niet allemaal verstaan, maar het meeste wel! ;)

Phil said...

The world is so influenced by crap media and crappy mags full of six packs and unachievable appearances, it's a real pressure on everyone, especially women.
There shoul dbe a ban on it, a bit like fast food and cigarettes, OTT body image media should be cut too.
I could rant about this for a long time but won't :[]

Dakota said...

Hear, hear, KJ’s Muse :) I totally agree with you. In Holland they are trying to do something about this now. On that site there is a manifest which visitors can sign. I don’t know if it’s really going to make a difference….but at least they are trying to do something :)

And don’t use the term “messy vaginas”, it’s not like penises are a joy to look at ;)

Fantastisch…..na al die tijd kan je het toch nog steeds redelijk volgen. Hoera!!
There still is a bit of Dutch blood running through your veins :)

OMG, I really did hit a nerve there, didn’t I DoGGa? But I totally understand and agree with you. This sort of stuff needs to be banned, or if that isn’t possible, at least be more realistic.

KJ's muse said...

And don’t use the term “messy vaginas”, it’s not like penises are a joy to look at ;)

Snort. You're right, and I signed that manifest!

Lots of Dutch blood, Dakota, lots. ;)

Dakota said...

Thanks for signing the manifest, KJ’s Muse. I was amazed to discover that actually 3848 people have signed it now. When I did roughly 200 people had. Thanks again :)

Anonymous said...

I read a story about that vaginal plastic surgery a few months ago. The woman in the story I read was getting it done as a "gift" for her husband. I didn't realize it is such a "big thing" now. Pretty sad.

Dakota said...

Hi Krissa, so nice to see you here :)

Yeah I’ve read a similar story as well. I really don’t get it, those ladies seem to think it’s a pretty nice gift too, but I would consider it an insult.

I don’t think it’s a really “big thing” yet in Europe, but it seems to be in America and you know how it goes…..European ladies might be a bit slow following this trend but give it a few years and it would be considered “normal” in Europe too :(