Thursday, September 06, 2007

Why do they strike that pose?

Last weekend I visited, like I mentioned earlier, an itsy, bitsy, tiny, small, local festival and some fun was had, but for the most part it was just another failed attempt. Not on my part though, I tried to have fun, but the ambience wasn’t festival-like and the line-up wasn’t either. Such a shame, after 15 years it’s not getting better, it is actually getting worse! You’d think they might have got the hang of it by now…..but no! And again the organisation is raving about their success, according to them everyone had a brilliant time……guess they haven’t read the inquiry forms yet. But, enough of that, because I was going to write about something completely different.

While I was visiting some of the concerts, I did notice something and that’s what this silly entry (for lack of anything better) is about. So, come on, what did you see, I can almost hear you say. Well, I did notice the large quantity of folded arms and bored faces. Now, you could think that it was to be expected because of the line-up and lack of ambience, but I’ve seen this pose all over the country (wow, for once Holland sounds big!) whilst visiting all sorts of events.
Men, especially single men (or solo-goers), seem to favour this pose. Now my question is, why? It is almost as if they are saying leave me alone, stay away from me, maybe they are feeling insecure, or maybe they just don’t want to express any joy. Or could it be that they wished they stayed home and watched boring telly like they always do? Whatever the reason might be, I, for one, don’t think it’s really helping the festivities. But it also made me wonder, is this some sort of typical male behaviour or is it just typical Dutch male behaviour? Answers on a postcard please……or just use the comment section :-)

Oh, and here is one little tip: never ever ask a folded arms/bored face–guy a simple question, like: wasn’t it supposed to begin at 10? Because, they either bite your head off or think you are coming on to them…….Yeah, as if!

No comments: